Tools to recover deleted SMS
There's a couple of different PC-based tools to help you through this part of the process, and of course, also for Mac users. Generally speaking they are free (or have a free trial) and do the job equally as well as one another. The particular tool you choose will depend on your personal preference, but they all do basically the same thing: scan your Android's memory, identify and recover your "deleted" messages. They'll all walk you through the process, which is usually only four steps long: connect, scan, preview, recover. The process works for other data besides text messages as well. Some programs worth trying out include:
How to recover lost text messages on Android
Depending which program you choose, the steps may be different, but all you essentially have to do is (I'll use Wondershare for illustration purposes):
1. Download and install one of the programs above. Launch the program on your computer.
2. Connect your Android to your computer (with the recovery program installed and program running) with a USB cable.
4. Follow the prompts in the recovery program to scan or analyze your Android's memory.
5. Once the process is complete you will have access to browse and preview the data stored on your Android device (whether it has been "deleted" or not. As long as the particular part of memory on which is was originally stored has not been saved over, you can still get the data back. This is why it's important to act quickly if you've lost data.
6. Simply locate your text message folder (or however the particular program presents your data), select the messages you wish to recover and either use the Recover action in the program to put them back on your device or save them to your computer for safe keeping.
Note: if you want to complete this process without a PC, chances are you will need root access on your device and more than likely a paid recovery app. In any case, it's easier and free to use a computer.